11.12.2009

Gun cabinet redesign

We recently inherited an old gun cabinet that belonged to my hubby's grandparents. My MIL was going to dispose of it, and never one to turn a free piece of furniture down (or a project for that matter), I offered to take it off her hands.

Here is a one similar to mine before I saved it from certain doom on its way to the junkyard:



And here she is converted to my version of a hall tree:


I painted it a flat black paint and distressed it with my handy-dandy palm sander. Then, I went to Hobby Lobby and picked out some new hardware @ 50% off and added the glass knobs and hooks to side of cabinet. I had some scrap burlap lying around from our wedding, so I simply stapled it to inside of the cabinet. A few accessories and WHALAH!, instant hall tree! Best of all, my MIL did not even recognize it when she visited! Eventually, I would like to add a market bag to the hooks, but I love how it fits the space perfectly.

I submitted this to Miss Mustard Seed's Furniture Feature Friday link Party and Kimba's DIY Day. Thanks for looking!

13 comments:

Miss Mustard Seed said...

That is a great transformation! I never would've even thought of turning a gun cabinet into a hall tree, but that turned out great! Well done and thanks for linking up to FFF!

Jillbert said...

Oh I LOVE it! Isn't it amazing what some paint (and imagination!) can do! Great job!

Rachel said...

I want one! Very clever and oh so cute!!! Great job!

Stephanie said...

Love it. Love it. Love it!! It looks like it was from Pottery Barn.
Stephanie

Miss Mustard Seed said...

Heather, Go check out my blog. You were chosen as the winner of Furniture Feature Friday! :)

Miss Mustard Seed said...

Send me an e-mail, so I can put you in touch with Norma. marian@missmustardseed.com

Kim said...

A.MAZE.ING!

Room to Inspire said...

This is such an amazing transformation - you have an ingenious eye!

Chelsea

Mikael@starter home to dream home said...

you are just so creative. I would have never thought of that

Anonymous said...

That is way too cute! We have one in the closet but not sure DH would go for this since his granddad's gun is stored in there. :-)

Gretchen said...

WOW!! What an amazing transformation!
I wonder if my hubby will let me do that to his gun cabinet...

Heather said...

Love it! I was just marveling at the amount of cheap gun cabinets on Craigslist, tempted to get one and see what I could do with it. You've just inspired me:)

Jennifer {Studio JRU} said...

Wow! What a transformation... it looks great! Who would have thought to use a gun cabinet... wonderful idea! :)