12.07.2009

10 things I have learned about blogging


Print found here.

Well, it's been over a month since I started this silly blog, or I should say a month since I have kept with it. It has been an eye-opening experience, and something that I have found I really enjoy doing, even if I have been MIA for a few weeks. So here's to what I'ver learned so far:

1. I never met a comma I didn't like. It is becoming quite evident that I LOVE to overpunctuate everything, especially commas. I used to think that English was my best subject, but every time I read and re-read posts, I realize how many grammatical errors I make. I apologize to any English teachers out there, especially if you were mine. Mrs. Lyle, hello? Are you out there? Anyone????
2. Blogging is time consuming. When I first discovered blogs, I would spend hours pouring over old posts of blogs that interested me. Then when, (see what I mean about commas) I had my list of daily reads, I would get so disappointed if someone hadn't updated their blog that day. Now, I have a newfound respect for bloggers, especially those that post multiple times a day and those that do it for a living.
3. My life is not that interesting. Honestly, some days I have zero things to talk about, much less something that it entertaining, thought-provoking, inspirational, or even noteworthy. I mean, really, no one, not even the woman that birthed me for over 21 hours, wants to know how many thousands of calories I consumed that day, or how I discovered this really big...uhmm, nevermind.
4. It has made me pay more attention to daily life. I never really thought much about any positives that might come out of this, but it really has made me start living more in the moment than waiting for tomorrow or next week. I now look forward to the mundane in hopes that something blogworthy will come out it. Not that this has happened yet, but somewhere over the rainbow...
5. I am camera-shy. I have always known this about myself. I most always have a camera with me, but rarely take pictures. Now, I am starting to take more pictures, and might even one day take one with me in it. Baby steps.
6. I am not a member of the Geek Squad. Not only is blogging time-consuming, but it really is hard work, especially for someone who only knows enough about computers to get by. I cannot tell you how many questions I have googled about how to do this or that on blogger. A post that would take a normal blogger 30 minutes, sometimes takes upwards of an hour (who am I kidding, more like two). But it's all in the fun, and I am learning.
7. It is nice to have a creative outlet. I was never much of a journalist growing up. My mother was an avid writer and always gave me a diary for Christmas. Like most things I take on, it all started with good intentions, but come March, it would become more and more sporadic until there was nothing but blank pages. Now, I am more determined than ever to keep at it because it is so nice to see my "pages" finally filling up.
8. There are still nice people in the world. Not that I didn't already know this, but we tend to sometimes forget it when we turn on the news. It is amazing to me how a simple, sweet comment can brighten my day!
9. HTML codes are your Frenemies. I really love how the other-language-speaking codes can change the look and feel of a blog, but they really are a foreign language. It can become so exhausting trying to figure out how a really great blogger did that to their post. However, I have begun teaching myself the basics and hopefully, will learn many more along the way.
10. Whether you want it to or not Life Happens. There are so many days when I have good intentions of putting up a little post, but before I know it, it's time for bed. I just have one question for all bloggers...How do you do it?... ALL? And still put dinner on the table?

Please, show me the way, master.

No comments: